Monday 2 November 2009

Eric Clapton: Donates Personal Item


Rock and Roll Hall the 25th anniversary of Fame Concerts were less than a week away when headliner Eric Clapton pulled out because of gallbladder surgery. By now, we know that Mr. Clapton is recuperating nicely and that even in his absence, the concerts were memorable events. And yet, not everyone is glad. Entry on Eric Clapton's an October 24 facebook page states "I think that it sucks that you had to cancel your Rock and Roll Hall of Fame concert in NYC! We paid a small fortune for those tickets!" Even though this "fan" cannot feel Mr. Clapton's pain, he apparently feels hers.To everyone's surprise, Eric Clapton has announced that he will donate his gallbladder to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame where it is expected to remain on permanent display. In a statement, Clapton declared "The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame has long been the home of personal items like Buddy Holly's high school diploma. I am happy to donate this most personal item, an organ from my own body. Now, even though my fans cannot always see me, they will always be able to see part of me. It is my sincere hope that this will satisfy ya, and not slide on by ya."Dr. Hiram Ingraham, President of the Greater Cleveland Gastroenterology Society, offered praise reminiscent of Clapton's induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame as a solo artist: "I want to send respect out to the gallbladder that quietly stored and secreted bile while great guitar solos were being created. I want to send respect out to the only gallbladder that attended every Cream, Blind Faith and Derek and the Dominos concert. I want to send respect out to the only gallbladder to be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame three times."In related news, Clapton's gallstone will be auctioned off by Christie's with proceeds to benefit BUTT, Before U Type, Think.

No comments: